The project to establish ANZTPA is a complex multi-year project requiring effective governance arrangements. When committing to the project in June 2011, the Australian and New Zealand Prime Ministers agreed to establish two key joint governance bodies:
- a Ministerial Council, including Australian and New Zealand Health Ministers and other relevant ministers, to oversight implementation; and
- a Transition Agency, resourced by both Australia and New Zealand, to advise the Ministerial Council and drive implementation of the scheme.
A number of other entities have been set up to support the roles of the Ministerial Council and Transition Agency. These are:
- The Secretaries' Group (comprising the CEOs of the New Zealand Ministry of Health and the Australian Department of Health) which is a joint entity driving outcomes to give effect to the Treaty and the Statement of Intent, as well as providing support, advice and recommendations to the Ministerial Council.
- A Trans-Tasman Senior Officials' Group (TTSOG), which is a formal body with membership drawn from the relevant policy agencies in both countries. Membership of this group includes officials from the Australian Department of Health, the New Zealand Ministry of Health, the New Zealand Ministry of Economic Development, the Australian and New Zealand Departments of Prime Minister and Cabinet, the Australian and New Zealand Treasuries, the Australian Department of Finance and Deregulation, the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, the New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, the Australian Attorney-General's Department and the New Zealand Ministry of Justice. The Head of the Transition Agency and Heads from both Regulators are also members of the TTSOG. Other relevant officers are co-opted where consideration of issues falls within their area of responsibility.
- The TTSOG is accountable to the Secretaries' Group for policy advice while the Transition Agency is accountable for secretariat functions, monitoring progress and reflecting the corporate interest of the ANZTPA.
- The Regulators will provide regulatory and/or B2B progress updates to the Secretaries' Group as required.
Content last updated: 27 November 2012
Content last reviewed: 27 November 2012
Web page last updated: 26 September 2013